Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 PM

Default Season Ends Sunday

The last day of the season for ball ladder is Sunday. CP will be awarded to the top 5 as follows:

1st: 200
2nd: 150
3rd - 5th: 100

Future seasons will be top 3, but it is 5 for this season because it has been so long.

I have not made a decision about TBD. It is hard to have seasons for TBD due to how little it is played. Most likely I will not reset TBD ratings now, but they might be reset in 3 months after the next season as described below.

Unfortunately something I am working on for a client has been dragging on for a lot longer than expected due to issues with a 3rd party service they are switching to. I have not had time to work on new features yet, so my plans for next season have had to change. It will still be a "beta season" as I will be building in final features for ladder during the season, which will last around 3 months.

There will also be a few new maps added for testing as well as the return of 1DM and TDM (1DE will be back too, but maybe not right at the start of the season).

I might also adjust how the rating system works for players playing their first games of the season. I am not happy with the simple multiplier being used now, but I am not sure the best way to handle this. Any other new features will be added during the season.

The new season will start on Tuesday, so there will be no ladder on Monday.

The top 3 in ball will get CP with 200 for 1st, 150 for 2nd, and 100 for 3rd. TBD top 3 will likely get CP after the season as well assuming I do not reset the ratings. Ball is likely the only mode that will have seasons after this though, so there may be no CP awarded except for ball after this.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 06-10-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:17 PM

How do you plan to implement the sudden death overtime? Just curious. Will you restart the map with the same teams and tournament mode still on? If so, how do you plan to end the match?

I am guessing that, with a mercy rule, you will be setting goalsPerRound to someting like 17, then issuing an "/overrideBallScore 8 8" on mapChange. But, if not, I am curious to hear what you are thinking.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biell View Post
How do you plan to implement the sudden death overtime? Just curious. Will you restart the map with the same teams and tournament mode still on? If so, how do you plan to end the match?

I am guessing that, with a mercy rule, you will be setting goalsPerRound to someting like 17, then issuing an "/overrideBallScore 8 8" on mapChange. But, if not, I am curious to hear what you are thinking.
As soon as time expires map will be reloaded. I have not worked out all the details. I just decided to test timed games right before I posted. Several people had been asking about it after I decided not to try it last time it was being considered.

If people wanted we could even do things like have two 4 or 5m halves on different maps. And instead of a sudden death OT, just keep adding on random maps until one team is winning. Or it could also be first team to win 2 games wins with scores not carrying over to the next map. So a tie probably wouldn't count although the stats would be saved. If anyone has any opinions on how to do post your thoughts.

As far as the mercy rule first of all it wouldn't be needed if we were to do first team to win twice with short games. If it is one 7 or 8m game I'd rather not have a blowout and then teams start trolling because not enough time left to possibly catch up. There would probably be rules for 3, 2, 1 minutes left. Probably would make any lead of 5 end the game at any time and also 4 with 2 minutes left or 3 with 1 minute left.

To end games either my mercy or in OT there would probably be a really high goalsperround that could never be reached and then I'd set the score to something higher to end the game. I could then probably set it right back to the actual score so it looks correct in end game screen (but need to test to make sure this works 100% of the time).
Old 06-08-2016, 12:07 AM

Ah, I hadn't thought about the possibility of forcing the game to end on demand with overrideBallScore, then setting it back. If that works 100% of the time, that will be very nice. Then, you could set the final score to be the sum of the two rounds after sudden death overtime was complete. The MVP and awards wouldn't reflect both games, but at least the score would. If you went with a multiple periods framework, you could still also do that.

And, if that does work, you can set the goalsPerRound arbitrarily high, and use more complex logic (as you described) to detect a blow out. That all makes great sense. I hope it works out.

I may play with that methodology for my ball_coop maps. Right now, I am using overrideBallScore to set the score to ceil(goalsPerRound/2)-N on mapChange. But, visually, I never liked that.

Edit:
I cannot get this method to fail with a sleep as short as 0.1 seconds. Less than that, and it seems to fail always. But, sleep isn't very accurate at that level anyway (certainly not in perl, and probably not in python either). With a sleep of 0.05 seconds, the entries in log.txt often have the same timestamp or a timestamp within a couple milliseconds. With ~20 tries of

overrideBallScore left+100 right
sleep 0.1
overrideBallScore left right

it didn't fail once. So, I think your method is solid.

Last edited by biell; 06-08-2016 at 03:45 AM. Reason: I tested it, and it works with short sleeps
Old 06-08-2016, 03:49 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

if the password isn't 'shmoispro' i quit

...again...
Old 06-08-2016, 07:18 PM

I have removed several newer maps plus darkwar from random for the rest of the season.

Also... likely removing Twitter ladder filling notifications for next season or soon anyway. PushBullet and Discord are much better and I don't see any reason to keep Twitter.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 06-08-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:20 AM

I think I am going to have to abandon the idea of timed games again after thinking about it more. Disconnects/lag will be too much of a problem especially when they happen near the end of the game. It takes time to get teams straight when this happens and I have no way currently to freeze the timer. I will ask lamster some time in the future for a freeze time command since I imagine it would take him virtually no time to code, but it won't be for this season.

However, I am going to be working on bringing my PlaneBall.com connected pub servers up soon and I will have timed ball games on them.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 AM

oh, now i finally read up on the news of this epic seasons top cp awardings. damn, should've applied myself some more : (

just out of curiosity, for whoever remembers my ladder top 3 honors portrait from last season - should i also go with 5 honors this time or keep it classy with 3 in a pic, what do you guys think?

also
Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
if the password isn't 'shmoispro' i quit

...again...
this
Old 06-13-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amara View Post
oh, now i finally read up on the news of this epic seasons top cp awardings. damn, should've applied myself some more : (

just out of curiosity, for whoever remembers my ladder top 3 honors portrait from last season - should i also go with 5 honors this time or keep it classy with 3 in a pic, what do you guys think?

also

this
Noob, missing out on that sick CP reward

I want top 5 so we can see what fh looks like or if you get no pictures then I better be riding a woof and dyke riding a cow or riot.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:49 PM

Just put a EU server up, "PlaneBall.com Europe" pw=beta, if anyone wants to do capts today. I will be gone for up to a couple hours and will configure a USA server when I get back if needed.

It has a few Oyster maps including ball_altitude, ball_cityscape, and ball_desert and it would be good if those can be tested in 6v6 games. desert will most likely be on ladder tomorrow when the season starts to be tested with actual games. altitude seems too wide, but has potential. cityscape is gigantic, so I'm sure it needs to be scaled down considerably but I added it to the server today anyway.

If anything try to at least try altitude since I feel comfortable enough adding desert to ladder for testing there and cityscape is not going to work as-is. Desert is really wide too but at least the goal area is shielded a lot from spawn which helps with wide maps.

Most admins have server powers and voting is on for changemap, starttournament, etc.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 PM

its not worth it sanis youll be disappointed
Old 06-14-2016, 12:29 AM

Van, just saw your message now. CP to main is perfect. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:56 PM

The top 5 should have CP now.