Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Dedicated Server
FAQ Community Calendar

Dedicated Server Discuss technical issues related to hosting your own servers.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Default Help on some things running a server.

Hey guys,

I would like to ask if anyone would have the time or patience to make a "How to run a server for people without a brain"?
Please note: I do have a brain, but in these matters im not so experienced.

I have a server running on a windows machine at my ISP, but some options from the configurator are confusing, and so are some commands.

For example:

Server message: What is this suppose to do? Give information to users on the server? But can't anyone just type: "/server message "you are all gay" and it will appear.
What about server whisper?

Can I use it to create a Welcome Message? I've been trying and can't find anywhere how to do it!

Team Staking is another mystery to me, what will it do?

Rcon: This will identify me as a server admin... Is the only purpose of this being able to kick ban unban?

Another technical question: What would be the maximum ping for player being able to play the game properly? Would 120 be too much?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 PM

Location: The place i am currently at the moment is where i am

Server message: What is this suppose to do? Give information to users on the server? But can't anyone just type: "/server message "you are all gay" and it will appear.
What about server whisper? ANSWER- only admins can do either of those.Server message will say to every1 playing [server]you are all gay.Server whisper would do that to one player and only the one u choose.It doesnt list ur name when typing it says it as if the server said it

Can I use it to create a Welcome Message? I've been trying and can't find anywhere how to do it! ANSWER- read custom commands

Team Staking is another mystery to me, what will it do? ANSWER- if the teams are even some1 cant join from one team to the other to make the teams uneven if u have prevent team stcking
Rcon: This will identify me as a server admin... Is the only purpose of this being able to kick ban unban? ANSWER- no. server admin can do any command without having to vote.
Another technical question: What would be the maximum ping for player being able to play the game properly? Would 120 be too much? ANSWER- 120 would be too little people that arent even lagging would get kicked, make it around 300 maybe a little higher
P.S. hope this helps -matrin

Last edited by matrin; 07-23-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrin View Post
What about server whisper? ANSWER- only admins can do either of those.Server message will say to every1 playing [server]you are all gay.Server whisper would do that to one player and only the one u choose.It doesnt list ur name when typing it says it as if the server said it

Can I use it to create a Welcome Message? I've been trying and can't find anywhere how to do it! ANSWER- read custom commands

Team Staking is another mystery to me, what will it do? ANSWER- if the teams are even some1 cant join from one team to the other to make the teams uneven if u have prevent team stcking
Rcon: This will identify me as a server admin... Is the only purpose of this being able to kick ban unban? ANSWER- no. server admin can do any command without having to vote.
Another technical question: What would be the maximum ping for player being able to play the game properly? Would 120 be too much? ANSWER- 120 would be too little people that arent even lagging would get kicked, make it around 300 maybe a little higher
P.S. hope this helps -matrin
Of course it helped! thanks a lot dude.

Let me ask you a couple more things.

Team stacking: how does the server calculate if it is even or not? Just score?
Guess it doesnt make much sense turning this baby on, cause players when change side do it to balance it not to unbalance it... right?
The ping I didnt mean maximum ping to kick players, I meant if everyone on the server has 120ping will we be able to play properly? Cause I have the server on my ISP but everyone who joins the server gets from 80 - 120 ping never less than that.

Just one more thing the custom commands are these ones: http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2764

Again thank you very much!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 PM

Location: The place i am currently at the moment is where i am

Quote:
Originally Posted by raziel View Post

Team stacking: how does the server calculate if it is even or not? Just score?
Guess it doesnt make much sense turning this baby on, cause players when change side do it to balance it not to unbalance it... right? Sometimes they unbalance it for no reason like to join friends teams.The ping I didnt mean maximum ping to kick players, I meant if everyone on the server has 120ping will we be able to play properly? Cause I have the server on my ISP but everyone who joins the server gets from 80 - 120 ping never less than that. Is it ever mor than that? because if its at 120 then it might start jumping up high and u might get lag otherwise if there is no jumping u should be fine.
Just one more thing the custom commands are these ones: http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2764 Ya those are them right there. u can download that and read the guide. i find it pretty complicated tho having problems with that myelf
ok lol 10char