Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Map Making
FAQ Community Calendar

Map Making Discuss everything related to creating new levels here.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:49 AM

Default ball_twisted

Since it's being asked for...

BALL TWISTED
(this is still a work in progress)
DOWNLOAD pre-release version (no graphics, just layout) - released 6/22/2012

This is a conversion-in-the-works of my recent map 1dm_twisted.
I am also working on a tbd conversion.

Here are the finished graphics for the 1DM version:

This map, since it was originally made for 1DM, has many problems that would make it unsuitable for a quick conversion to ball. The biggest problem is that the map objects, though placed symmetrically, are different in shape. This is of course a huge issue in ball modes.

I have done a bare-bones rework of the map objects for some testing:

I will need to do some heavy tweaking to the art when the layout changes from the original 1DM version, so I want to get a good feel for how a ball version will look before I start chopping things up. I will need heavy feedback.

Map info - pre-release version 0.1
- BG/FG art not yet implemented
- map size now 3250x1600 (height increased by 200) to accommodate player spawns
- layout completely reworked from 1DM version
- The majority of map objects are now symmetrical. Exceptions: the floor at bottom, the gear area, the two objects in dead-center, and the mound at center-top (between player spawns). These non-symmetrical differences are probably fine as-is.

What I would like feedback on:
- PU locations/amount
- goal location
- spawn location
- long-distance shots
- 'trick' shots if you find any
- general layout

Give me lots of feedback and suggestions, thanks.

Last edited by silent skies; 06-22-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: pre-release version
Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM

it looks good but from my view (could be wrong), the middle looks pretty open for ball runs or team rushes, but they can counter eachother so i dunno :P
Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 PM

I got to see the art for this map for 1dm, and it is awesome. I look forward to playing on this map in modes I'm more familiar with. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:39 PM

The massive majority of maps have a closed off spawn area for ball.
Ladder Ball closed entry: Asteroids, Cave, Core, Cross, Cutesy, DarkWar, Funnelpark, Grotto, Ice, Labyrinth, Mayhem2, Maze, PlanePark, reef, Skylands, Snow, UFO
Ladder Ball open spawn: Lost City

This image shows an example of how a closed off area could be done. Looking though the official and community maps can show many other examples of how others have done this. I think this would look good with the twisted style walls on the upper side around this spawn area. Note that generally maps have smooth entry ways. I think the flavor of twisted's non-grassy areas could suit the entry way for this map well.

The b is where planepark (the spawn example portion of the image) placed it's team ball relative to spawn. Numbers added for making references easier.

I'm most fearful about the long shot between 5 and 6 from 7 area. My knee jerk reaction would be to move 2 to block that shot. I'm torn on how I fell about the neutral ball spawning close to the long shot available. The flight path for a loopy is longer then the blocking whale, but that whale is choosing between firing at the opening (via the 2-5 opening shot 7-8) or flying toward the goal with the block.

With this in mind, I think the better course of action to get this map to testable state quickly would be to leave 2 alone, create the spawn area, and if that long shot becomes an issue, first test how bad it is when the neutral ball is moved up or down (between the 5-5 for example).

I count 2 ladder maps that have a ball spawn below the goal post. Labyrinth and Planepark. Lab has a significant obstacle in the way, and planepark uses a small obstacle to prevent that long shot, forcing the player closer and lower before it can release the shot.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
With this in mind, I think the better course of action to get this map to testable state quickly...
Well, to tweak the artwork (even to get what I showed in the preview image) I'm gonna need to play around with 24 layers worth of objects -_- Takes some serious time.

That being said, tweaking the actual objects layer is the quickest and easiest part, considering it's basically just solid black objects. At this stage of development I can implement serious layout suggestions in a matter of minutes, and churn out a 'testable' map very easily. Sure it will be fugly, but my nightmare scenario here is to spend 10 hours tweaking the artwork and layout, releasing a version, and then have players say 'i hate it, move this here and that there and add something here etc etc', and then I'd have to start over again with the artwork from scratch.

So, if you genuinely think that that object would be much better moved down, or maybe increased in size, rotated, whatever -- best to sort those issues out up front, yes?

(btw, releasing a skeleton-version of the layout today for testing)

Last edited by silent skies; 06-22-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:38 PM

pre-release version available for download. Not really expecting this to get server play, but if you can give me general feedback on layout/shots/potential problems it'd be helpful.

Download link and updated preview image in opening post.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:39 PM

imo, stick to skeletons until the level feels right. You've already proven that the final version of twisted is going to look awesome.