Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > League Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

League Organization Only pertinent league information in here.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 PM

Default Skyleague ALL STAR Selection

Ok, we will gauge some new interest on this, which if this goes well I will begin doing after each league ends and before the next one begins.

This is an All-Star selection vote for you favorite and most deserving members.

Need to Rank your top 14 ball players that played in SL8.

Rules:

1) You may not put yourself on your own list.
2) All votes must be sent in a PM to me (darknietzsche) or post in this thread to have your vote counted. Sign your altitude name and team tag at the bottom of the message.
3) You must vote for 14 players.
4) Voting is limited to members of the Altitude Skyleauge 8.
5) Votes will be tallied using a score system. 1st place = 4pts, 2nd place = 3pts, 3rd place = 2 pts, 4th -14th place = 1pt. Thus, only 1st-3rd place need to be arranged in order.
6) At the end of voting, the top 14 players according to points total will be split into teams.

Voting will end at Noon EST on Tuesday, August 20th

Tentative Date for All-Star Game will be Sunday, August 25th. Will do a bo7.

Players ranked 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14 = Team A
Players ranked 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13 = Team B

Players and their respective teams can be viewed at this google document which you will not be able to edit. Teams are listed in alphabetic order and players within these teams are listed alphabetically. Please let me know if I forgot anyone I was using the registration thread.

ALL-STAR VOTING LIST!

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions on if you think the seeding of the teams are fair and if the scoring system should be adjusted.

Also, please try to be honest and not just vote your friends/clanmates in the top 3 spots.

Any obvious trolling votes will not be tallied. Justification on votes may be submitted.

Last edited by darknietzsche; 08-13-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 PM

Shouldn't we adjust it a bit so teams have each position covered to avoid line-up complications? Not sure how we'd want to do so but seems like the best way to avoid line-up issues. Otherwise I'm good with this.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 PM

whats this, but a popularity contest?

i saw quite some matches but can hardly name 1 player who was more outstanding than the rest.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threevenge View Post
Shouldn't we adjust it a bit so teams have each position covered to avoid line-up complications? Not sure how we'd want to do so but seems like the best way to avoid line-up issues. Otherwise I'm good with this.
I was thinking of setting up something similar. A team of skyleague voted by a representative from each clan that competed.

The team should be in a formation of:
1 randa
2 loopies(emp)
1 bip/bomber/loopy(acid)
2 whales
+ 1 sub

Each person voting would not be allowed for any players from their own clan. Though, I think the representative thing might not work though...

And also, I'd like to see this team take on the SL8 champions in a bo5! (obviously with replacements for the {ball} players)

Last edited by Dougie; 08-05-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM

I do agree partially from your standpoints. My goal is for this not to be a popularity contests, for people to put their relationships with others aside and vote for the absolute best of the best.

I don't think putting plane comps as a requirement is necessary. Maybe we can have each team pick two or three more players after voting ends to ensure a more balanced rotation.

I also don't think having people not vote for anyone on your own team is viable either, because certain teams definitely have a majority of what would be consider highly skilled players. I would have a really hard time not voting for at least one vlix member in the top 14 of players. I would be willing to say you can't vote for someone on your team in the top 3, so they don't get a large head start based on a teams size. I would even be willing to say you can't vote for more than 2 or 3 people on any team to prevent an entire players card being one team

I am fine with requiring that every team have a vote on each players card though.

I am doing this because people seemed genuinely interested in something new, and I hope this could be a new thing. Maybe we can take the winning team of this to play ball (substituting ball players of course)

Last edited by darknietzsche; 08-05-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM

My point is that i can select a bunch of players who are in my opinion the 14 most skillful players, but i dont think i can do it on the basis of SL8 performance.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:12 PM

That is fine. The only real requirement is that the people chosen must have participated in SL. I agree that is why if you are not voted in the top 3 than it does not really matter where you are positioned on such a list. I think it pretty easy to pick 3 people that outperform/most valuable to their teams than other players weekly.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 PM

Ok. For next time, to really get a SL allstar team it would be a nice idea if every game the two teams choose the most valuable player among the six/seven opposing players. The ones selected are are then posted on the forum along with the scores.

Last edited by beefheart; 08-05-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 PM

I already sent in my votes to DN. I don't play ball too much and I haven't in the past so many of my votes were based on the quality of players this season who generally made the right choices when it came to clearing, passing, shooting ects. I watched many of vanishings vidz and that helped a lot with making calls as to who I thought was very ball-star worthy.
As for lineups I think maybe adding two more people so each team had 2 subs instead of 1 might make it work. Regardless it would be a nice challenge for each team to come up with a lineup that works.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 AM

Maybe we could have done this based on main planes played in Sky League.
Example: Vote for top 5 or w/e of each plane, so that rosters can be made that way. (Maybe group bip/bomber together?)

Just a suggestion, maybe wouldn't work.

Last edited by Woofy; 08-06-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 AM

Again, I don't think that is the point of this. I like the idea of having the best of the best no matter the plane and having teams kind of work out compositions themselves. I think the plane comps will be distributed by themselves and if not, I think I will have each team pick at least two others to fill in those needs.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 AM

Maybe it's just me personally but all-stars vs. ball, while fun, I think takes away from the community aspect of this. I'd rather see most if not all teams represented so everybody gets something out of this match. I believe All-Star games should celebrate the season, not just the champions.

So let's settle on these rules: are we going no votes for team members in the top 3 and no more than three members on a single team? If so I'll start working around that.

Most of the votes will probably go towards the usual veteran stars like Fart, Void and DVD, but I'm hoping to see some of the lesser-known guys who had great seasons get in the line-ups. Zrog's Moon, for example, had a pretty solid season I thought and surprised me with some good aggression and pretty smart passes.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:21 AM

I am fine with the whole not voting for people on your team in the top 3. I would have to contact one person about their vote if we do this though. Just kind of give me whether or not people want to do this or not. I took a lot of this from gumbys post a long time ago, so peoples thoughts and things change, so I am down for either.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

i'm okay with having a max of 3 people per team, but i think you should be able to choose people from your own team for any of your top 3 slots. i think we can all agree to not treat this as a popularity contest and actually base our votes off of skill and their impact in their respective teams. especially for the people willing enough to actually type out their votes.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 AM

I think it's fine the way it is; at some point we just have to trust in each voter to vote objectively because there's no real way to control that. And certainly there are teams for which I would vote for more than 2-3 people in the top 14 so I see no reason to tamper with that. If at some point we want to do a selection which has like 1-2 players from each SL team represented then that could be a different thing, but for an all-star match I think the clan distribution is irrelevant.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 AM

It seems so far that the general consensus is to leave the voting as it is! My only concern is that it becomes a popularity contest, but we must trust in the people who are voting!

One thing though, what happens if you get people tied on the same number of points? I guess you can go by who has the most higher places first (similar to the Olympic games ranking system).
Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM

I actually addressed ties in the spreadsheet I have in the OP. And we will go with how things are now. This is just a test run. So far three votes in I think people are being objective, but if it becomes a popularity contest I can make this more strict on who is voting next time.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknietzsche View Post
1) You may not put yourself in 1st place on your own list.
What is the point? Just make it that you cannot vote for yourself. If people vote for themselves in 2nd place all the time, it's going to skew the results anyway.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM

I am fine with not voting for yourself. No one has done it yet anyways. I updated the OP to include this, but I don't think it would have been a problem.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekn0 View Post
What is the point? Just make it that you cannot vote for yourself. If people vote for themselves in 2nd place all the time, it's going to skew the results anyway.
Yeah, true point. 3 points is pretty big amount and hard to overcome with popular vote considering how few I'd expect to vote. As a test run I guess it's fine if we stick with current rules and focus on seeing if we can arrange a match this way.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Just so you guys know. I don't plan on doing this unless I think I get enough people to vote to make a distribution that I would be happy with, that would probably be around 20 votes or so.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:59 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

1. zz
2. dvd
3. Tomi
4. keppo
5. mO_On
6. DN
7. Carlos
8. mssv
9. void
10. Hephaestus Jones
11. Fartface
12. ``Sanis
13. shmo
14. balln
Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM

1. z_Z
2. $_$d
3. baL_Ln
w0_of
kep_po
m0_0n
`_`sanis
hoL_Lywo_Od
cO_Okie
x_x2
m$_$v
thre_evenge
leg_gomyeg_go
mo_onche_ese
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM

The two above votes will not count until justification or resubmission based on the appropriate guidelines are completed.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Are we able to see a breakdown from how many votes have come from each clan so far?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM

arr: 0
bbq: 3
ball: 2
r87: 4
smile: 0
tadow: 0
vlix: 2
zrog: 1
other: 1
Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 PM

I have not voted yet, but will. I will send my vote to dougie and few others, to verify that I did not submit a biased set of votes.

Voting ends 1 week from today at 8 pm GMT.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:52 AM

Sorry guys for this, but with ladder down, I think we need to start APL sooner to help keeping everyone wanting to play. So I am cancelling this for now, thanks for everyone who voted and took a bit of their time out.