Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:53 AM

Default SUPER SHINY SUGGESTION!!! About calculating kills

At the moment, it is very easy to steal kills and such. It seems like the player who actually kills the victim gets the kill, not the players that did most of the work. What should be done is to base who did the killed a player by who did the most damage to the killed player, not to the one who attacked last, and finished the victim off. This would prevent kill stealing for the most part because you have to have contributed the largest amount of damage to the enemy craft, which forces players to stay on the same target, not flying around and kill smoking planes. I hope there are no flaws in my reasoning this time!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:19 PM

1) It is irregular for a game to award kills for most work complete as opposed to killing blow.
2) If you deal 99% damage and fail to finish:

3) Games that want to avoid kill steals mark all kills as some alternate term that means "contributed to a kill." I think Heroes of the Storm uses take downs.
4) No.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:01 AM

Default I am bad at reasoning

chars
Old 10-27-2014, 02:20 AM

There's our Aki....

But, Mango, he has several valid points...

Truth is...

Once Alti went F2P... There most likely won't be any "official" additions to the game.

It will be up to the community now... (Once our devs release the code... Karlam, hint, hint )

There is one thing you could do... thoroughly read the Suggestions Forum first.

The posts will give you an idea of what's already been 'on the table', and what things have been openly dismissed.

-->Generally speaking, the threads with the most replies are the ones with the better (most considered) suggestions.

Keep thinking and keep suggesting...

(Alti is what it is today because of this community... )
Old 11-01-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrNoval View Post
[...]
It will be up to the community now... (Once our devs release the code... Karlam, hint, hint )
[...]
Unfortunately, I don't see this happening. Not because the devs aren't cool, but because, from all I've seen, the whole system has so many holes. If people got their hands on the code, making game-breaking exploits would be trivial; unlike open-source multiplayer games, in which the system is made secure, altitude has no protection against foul-play on the client's side in any way.

Have you ever noticed how lag works differently in altitude than, say, teeworlds? It seems like the client calculates the plane's position locally and the server trusts it; proof of this is the lag-teleport effect, where laggy players will teleport across the map even if your connection to the server is low latency. Your client controls where your plane is, contrary to other games where the server does. This arguably has benefits, but it also means that position modifying hacks are possible and there seem to be no measures taken against them. Making the system open source would let anybody with a bit of experience in java take advantage of them, and altitude would face a teleporting epidemic.

Oh, and modding a server to give all the players that join it disproportionate amounts of XP would be trivial. So that would also be a problem.

These hacks are admittedly already viable, but moving to open source would open these possibilites up for hoardes of n00b script kiddies, and the only thing worse than an influx of noobs into our games is an influx of noobs with teleporters. (jk I <3 noobs they are the future of altitude hopefully)
Old 11-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticDuck` View Post
Unfortunately, I don't see this happening. Not because the devs aren't cool, but because, from all I've seen, the whole system has so many holes. If people got their hands on the code, making game-breaking exploits would be trivial; unlike open-source multiplayer games, in which the system is made secure, altitude has no protection against foul-play on the client's side in any way.
Very right, Duck.

Alti is full of "holes" and inherent weaknesses... And there is no doubt there would be those who would exploit them.

I remember the huge amount of hackers and cheaters the game was plagued with a few years back. And I am sure there are still a few roaming around...

With the influx of fresh noobs aside, there will come a point when the servers are empty once again. And there is the inevitable hardware race, that will eclipse any and every game, at some point.

I believe our community is what will remain, in the end. If Alti is to have any kind of lasting place in the gaming world, updating the code will be necessary... We cannot expect Karlam to continue this indefinitely.

I was suggesting, at some point, our devs choose a couple worthy members of this community to take the reigns. (I would never suggest opening up the code freely, as nothing good would come from it.)

If the devs would provide upload access to the Alti Main & the Update Server, Altitude could remain viable as hardware changes. Any changes/additions made would trickle down to the client end.

If this actually happens, at any point, some of the community's suggestions could be implemented. Or, at least, tried.