Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 AM

Default ball_thorns added

After a lot of work, ball_thorns is being added to ladder. Visual theme is a creation of Blind Pilot (http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4063). Original map is very bad, but I think the thorn idea has potential. My creation is much more ball friendly but has many tiny thorns sticking out that you need to pay attention to.

I went back to my old idea of being able to fly over spawn areas. No reason this shouldn't work, though the initial layout for thorns may need to be modified after testing. I am actually considering blocking off the lower mid spawn exit point and forcing you to either start top with options 1) go above and behind own goal 2) go above and behind opponent goal 3) go down middle. If it is too difficult to score due to ease of getting back to D, I expect to make this change. This would further add to the uniqueness of this map.

Again numerous powerup spawns, but adjusted for balance. Three up top to encourage use of top lane above spawns at default 10s timer, but no walls spawn at any of these locations. Two bottom powerup spawn points are at 20s and include all types of powerups.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:54 AM

Ah, I've been expecting this for a very long time. I really like how you fixed the bottom of the map. The old layout was a big mess and had some major flaws like incredibly tiny wholes in walls where randas could pretty much warp all the time. I think the top part of it had some kind of division of thorns making it very inconsistent when pushing and else. I think there was only the tbd version back then and that's where I'm based off but this looks nice.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:17 AM

Updated to provide better balance to top route. Rather than having it funnel through risky tight spots above the spawns, the spawns have been lowered and that area is much more open. This does not make it easier to stay alive, but makes clearing out of and dumping in top much less risky. One disadvantage to this change is bots will constantly fly into the opponent spawn with the ball so ruins it for pub play.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 01-16-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN1SH1NG View Post
One disadvantage to this change is bots will constantly fly into the opponent spawn with the ball so ruins it for pub play.
It's okay - we're used to playing ball_risk with bots in pubs, so we're used to clueless bots not knowing what to do with the ball.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:23 AM

Ended up redoing the layout. I have done away with the maze like aspect of the map and it is much more lostcity influenced. I have shown some of the shot options on this map.