Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:43 AM

Default Rule Translators

I am considering having rules translated in multiple languages for those who are not strong with English. I'm not sure if I will do this yet, but just checking who out there would be able to translate rules into other languages? Probably only would support the more common languages in Altitude. French, Spanish, German, Italian, Swedish, Polish, Dutch?

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 07-21-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:55 AM

I can do Spanish.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 AM

I can do italian )
Old 07-21-2015, 11:08 AM

I can do German
Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 AM

Hit me up if you need Dutch translations.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Demuyt

I can do French and Greek
Old 07-21-2015, 06:02 PM

Are you planning to have translated this whole page http://altituderank.com/rules/ or simply the rules section?
Old 07-21-2015, 06:44 PM

As of now the expectation is this would be for in-game server whispers only. I'm hoping Google Translate or other translation services work well enough for the website.

All accounts will have to confirm they know they will be held accountable for the rules. It will be a shorter, more concise version of the rules to save time in-game with a disclaimer that you should still read the full rule descriptions on the website.

Like on Carlos' ladder the rules will be sent with server whispers. It seemed like one of the issues we experienced with that is some people did not know English well enough to get through it.

Prior to the rules there will be a very brief intro to ladder message that would need to be translated as well.

Ideally after a player sets a language ALL ladder messages would be done through server whisper in that language. There aren't that many messages used, but not sure how feasible it will be to do them all in several languages too.

The hardest part will probably getting a player to select their language in the first place if they have difficulty with English though. I will probably have to make assumptions based on location returned for their IP address.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 07-21-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:37 PM

Language selection based on IP addresses sounds best although I'm not sure how it'll turn out having everyone accept the rules for the first time. It was chaos when it was introduced in Carlos' ladder, but anyways, could you make up the shortened rules you want us to translate and perhaps put them on pastebin or something? I have tons of free time right now and could have this done in no time.

Edit: It just came to me but is this going to apply for everyone, including those who already play ladder or simply to the new players?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slender View Post
Language selection based on IP addresses sounds best although I'm not sure how it'll turn out having everyone accept the rules for the first time. It was chaos when it was introduced in Carlos' ladder,
Edit: It just came to me but is this going to apply for everyone, including those who already play ladder or simply to the new players?
I feel like the chaos in Carlos' ladder was mostly due to having a smaller ladder population at the time. Most ladder players had not come back yet and usually there was just enough to play. Usually at least a couple had not accepted the rules yet and sometimes they seemed to have trouble doing so (likely language related).

Unfortunately I expect to apply it to everyone, but that is not 100% decided yet. It seems like it is becoming almost a daily thing where I discover one or more long time players smurfing because they apparently had no idea it was not possible to use multiple accounts (without having them linked). It also is clear a lot of people do not know the actual nickname rule.

The plan is actually to have players confirm each rule individually to help ensure they are actually being read. It also makes it easier to add rules or modify existing rules. If a rule is added or modified you'd be notified next time you join a server and have to confirm you read the new rule.

On the plus side when this is implemented you will never have to enter a password to join ladder servers again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slender View Post
but anyways, could you make up the shortened rules you want us to translate and perhaps put them on pastebin or something? I have tons of free time right now and could have this done in no time.
I have a draft of the rules:

1. Rating of at least 800 is required to use Reverse Thrust or Miranda.
  2. Do not use multiple accounts without first notifying an admin. Only after an admin links accounts (to share rating, etc) can you play on additional accounts.
  3. Leaving or spectating because you didn’t know you were supposed to be in the game or any other reason (excluding lag), either repeatedly or without giving warning. If lag prevents you from playing you should sit out the following game unless you are sure you will not lag again.
  4. Do not ace or change nickname in the middle of a game.
  5. Do not purposefully use or even include another player's nickname within your nickname.
  6. Showboating in any manner is not allowed.

Any activity not listed above that can cause a negative experience for others may also result in a ban. See the rule list at AltitudeRank.com for complete rule descriptions.

Some rules that I think are covered well enough by the last statement have been excluded to save time/space in server whispers. Spec chat rule is removed because when this is implemented spec chat will be enforced automatically.

I'd be reluctant to have anyone translate this yet though as this hasn't really been finalized. As I said in the original post I hadn't even decided for sure if I want to support multiple languages yet. It seems like it may be required if confirming rules is required, but it is a hassle on my end to try and update all translations if anything changes. I have also not written the intro to ladder portion of the message sent to accounts who have not confirmed the rules.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 07-21-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:10 PM

Takes 5 mins max to translate these to the desired languages if people are native speakers. Just tell us what you need and we'll be happy to write them up for you, it's really no big deal.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:18 PM

I can do swedish