Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:30 AM

Default Messenger App for LADDER; SAVE ALTI

In my opinion what alti needs it is an messenger app which has to have the following requirements:

1) easy to use
2) not social network, we want to respect everyone privacy
3) able to be installed in every smarthpone, at least android and iphones
4) cheap

I was thinking in whatsapp but it is not popular among the americans. Facebook messenger does not respect the privacy.
Snapchat is not easy to use.

So we have 2 options, telegram and Kik.
Kik is easy to use, it doesnt require anything to work, not even an email (you can use a false email)
Telegram needs phone number but it is better app. Both apps work in smartpones and tables. Telegram even works in pc and can be installed at the same time in any device.

I Will create an Alti group both in Kik and in telegram

Only if we work together we will be strong enough to save alti and have fun in ladder.

In KIK You can directly join the ladder group using the hashtag altitudeladder
IN TELEGRAM You have to add me and my number in your contacts in your smartphone. Install the telegram app. then say Hi to me in telegram letting me know you want to be added into the ladder group. I will let you know my phone number by PM in this forum.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:55 AM

Im ok with telegramm
Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 PM

How do you think the messenger app will benefit us?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:44 PM

easy man, imagine ladder has 6 people and there are 25 people in the messenger app. We can get the other 6 people.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:17 PM

A chat/messenger app may be nice. The problem is I don't know that there are any great options available.

Kik groups are limited to 50 people, so I would not consider it.

Telegram looks nice and supports 200 per group which probably is enough. Its channel ability could potentially replace PushBullet. However it has one HUGE issue which is that you have to have a cell phone to sign up. I'm sure the majority of ladder players have a cell phone, but I think enough would not have a phone too that it would be a problem.

I looked at some other options...

Razer Comms seems decent except it also has one major limitation. It has no OS X or Linux app. It is limited to Windows and Android at the moment although there is supposed to be an iOS app coming. We probably can't strongly consider it until there is at least an iOS app. If OS X was also added it would probably be the best option. I doubt we have more than a few on Linux who wouldn't at least be able to use a mobile app.

Skype may be the best option. I believe it allows 300 people per group and probably is supported on more devices than any other option.

Line may be a possibility as it at least lets you register via Facebook. Chat limited to 200. It has apps for most platforms except Linux. There is a Chrome app though which I assume is usable on Linux. Will need to do more testing.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 09-26-2015 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don quijote View Post
IN TELEGRAM You have to add me and my number in your contacts in your smartphone. Install the telegram app. then say Hi to me in telegram letting me know you want to be added into the ladder group. I will let you know my phone number by PM in this forum.
You don't need to use mobile numbers with telegram, if you go into your account settings you can set a username, for example I'm @LewisH, then people can talk to you without knowing your phone number.

Last edited by LewisH; 09-26-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Yes Lewish is correct, but you can share your phone number with selected people. Telegram would be pretty good for a ladder messenger. As I got a notification when Vanishing signed up yesterday, I think it would be really good at letting people know when ladder is trying to start-etc.. I know you can also mute the group if someone is being really annoying you won't get the notifications (on your phone). Although, if someone messages you directly you WILL get the notification immediately unless you have that person muted. Note that I do not have Telegram on my computer so all of this is connected to the mobile device.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:28 PM

You don't need to let others know your phone number, but the problem remains that you can't sign up at all without a cell phone. If not for that it would be an excellent option for us. There are ways to get a phone number for free but it is still a hassle and most free options expire over time (although low risk if only used for altitude, probably a chance someone could hijack your telegram account if you lose your number).
Old 09-28-2015, 08:18 AM

Considering that nowdays also the 12 years old kids have their "smarthphone" i dont think a cell number would be a problem for more of 5-10 ladder players. Right?
Old 09-30-2015, 08:42 PM

I installed telegram and I like it, it seems very functional which is nice.

Last edited by Mulu; 09-30-2015 at 09:48 PM.