Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > The Water Cooler
FAQ Community Calendar

The Water Cooler Discuss unrelated topics. Keep it clean. Keep it nice.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 AM

Thumbs up Don't be a dummy; get some free money.

For those of you planning to attend an institution of higher learning (e.g. university, community college, trade school, etc.) in the United States: Wouldn't you like free money to fund your educational endeavor?

Of course you would. So, the first step is to fill out the FAFSA.

"But Uncle Soneji, my parents make too much money for me to qualify."

Mibby. But the FAFSA is the foundation from which you'll build your free(er) education ziggurat. While you may not qualify for PELL Grants, other scholarships and grants (even those based on merit) will want you to have filed this application. So, get it submitted.

Check the deadlines for the state in which you'll be attending school. Some of them have already passed, others are quickly approaching.

You'll need the information from your 2015 tax return. And if you're under 24, you're prolly gonna need your parents' info too.

Once you've got this application on file, you can begin your work in earnest. There are tons of scholarships and grants, both within the institution you're attending and elsewhere. I can help you navigate the bureaucratic labyrinth, but the first step is the FAFSA.

Again, this only applies to those attending school in the US where we saddle our youth with debt before sending them off into the world. Don't be one of those poor schmucks bitching about their student loan debt for the next 30 years. Get dem free moneies!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 AM

Please note: I am not selling anything. I am not offering to do this for you. I cannot guarantee you'll be awarded any scholarships.

FAFSA is step one. Once you've got that, we can talk about other avenues of funding.

I'm also happy to talk with students at schools around the world who are writing grant applications, admissions applications, personal statements, curriculum vitae, resumes, etc.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Greekjr14 Send a message via Skype™ to Greekjr14

Always be looking for scholarships both before and during your higher education. Certain scholarships require only an essay or video, with others simply needing certain degree or class-level requirements.

This is biggest piece of advice I'd recommend: WORK ON YOUR GPA, ACT, AND SAT. I can't speak for every college, but in LA, we are provided with the TOPS program. This program gives a great amount of money for the entire school year depending on what you qualify for, and can even sometimes completely cover your tuition depending on the school. Plus, having a high GPA can help "buffer" the blow caused by a failed course, so long as your other courses are in good standing.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:43 AM

Where were you guys 7 years ago when I was applying at universities and needed some $ assistance?!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Where were you guys 7 years ago when I was applying at universities and needed some $ assistance?!
There are loan forgiveness programs if you're teaching in low income areas. You could join the Americorps. Also, you can get repayment plans set up based on your income and if you make the minimum payment for a few decades the balance will be forgiven.

There is hope if you're struggling with student loan debt. Again, happy to talk with you all about these issues. PM me if you want.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:19 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

Old 03-11-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
I understand the sentiment expressed in this meme, however I'm pushing the FAFSA here as necessary for other avenues of funding. It's the first step, not the end of the road.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:26 AM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg