Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 PM

Default [Steam] Keyboard does not work in Linux version

I just bought this game on Steam and quite surprised that it is not working. The keyboard input is simply not captured by the window.
I am running gnome 3.8.1-2 (replaced that for testing, doesn't work on some others, too), xorg-server 1.14.1-1 and nvidia 313.30-5 on an up-to-date 64bit Archlinux install.

These guys are having that very same problem:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/41300/...5672592385646/
If there is a workaround, please tell me, elsewise I would welcome a fast fix ;P

If you guys need anything (logs, tests, whatever) I am happy to provide you with it.

Edit: I managed to ge the keyboard working by launching the game in a separate X session. For the record the workaround until this is fixed:
In steam, click on properties, launch options and insert "xinit %command% -- :1" without the quotes.

Last edited by nae64; 05-12-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 PM

This might be specific to gnome, but I'm really not sure >.<

I'm running arch x86_64 with cinnamon, and I have the same issue. The weird thing is (and the reason I havn't posted here before) Is that it works fine with xfce, I've just siwtched to Cinnamon (fork of gnome 3, I think) and I have no keyboard input.

Not sure if it's specific to arch, but since this is the only thread (no complaints from people running ubuntu/debian/mint etc...) I'd assume it is.

I remember seeing a different version of the LWJGL libs somewhere to fix the sound problem(no in game sound at all without it), I'll try to find that and see if there are any changes...

edit: ok, I can't find anything. maybe I was thinking of something else...

edit2: using the 2.9.0 lwjgl native's in the alti natives directory just crashes instantly, I didn't expect much else but it was worth a shot

edit3: I tried 2.8.5, it works for minecraft but instant crashing again with alti

edit4: http://altitudegame.com/forums/showp...50&postcount=6
I'll try the oracle jre from the AUR...

edit5: goddamnit these dependancys.. can't install that without removing openJDK, whatever, I'll just stick to switching to xfce when I want to play alti, and I can deal with to lack of sound , so yeah....

p.s. I really don't understand this, can someone explain why it would work on xfce but not cinnamon? I don't see how a differant DE would matter :s

edit 6:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/41300/...5672592385646/
Quote:
Originally Posted by steam user
Same problem. Using fuduntu / gnome 2.32. I've played the non-steam version on gentoo / xfce4 and it worked just fine
anyone?

Last edited by LewisH; 06-14-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:40 PM

2 months is not an acceptable timespan when making a piece of software useable for paying customers.
I actually don't even want to play the game anymore.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisH View Post
This might be specific to gnome, but I'm really not sure >.<
edit2: using the 2.9.0 lwjgl native's in the alti natives directory just crashes instantly, I didn't expect much else but it was worth a shot
If you try and update the LWJGL version you also have to copy the jars over:

Copy:
lwjgl-2.9.0/jar/jinput.jar
lwjgl-2.9.0/jar/lwjgl.jar
lwjgl-2.9.0/jar/lwjgl_util.jar
lwjgl-2.9.0/jar/lzma.jar

To:
Altitude/lib

Also copy the native files to:
Altitude/native

If you do this correctly it works just fine. Not sure it will solve your problem though.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:37 PM

Thanks Karl.

If anyone finds this thread and has the same issues, I'd recommend just using WINE, everything works but the sound (that might just be my setup, I had it working a while ago), I'm looking for a workaround for that now.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 AM

"Just use WINE" is not an acceptable solution on a supposedly-supported platform, guys.

Edit: The problem exists in Fedora 19 (gnome). Here we are four months later... I'm guessing by the lack of an official response that no progress has been made in that time.

Added: I can confirm that Karl's manual patching with lwjgl files resolves the issue. Because he couldn't be bothered to share a link (or even mention what lwjgl is): http://sourceforge.net/projects/java...LWJGL%202.9.0/
It baffles me that users are required to manually patch this broken game, but extreme laziness seems to be a theme around here. Cheers.

Last edited by Tablspn; 11-04-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablspn View Post
"Just use WINE" is not an acceptable solution on a supposedly-supported platform, guys.

Edit: The problem exists in Fedora 19 (gnome). Here we are four months later... I'm guessing by the lack of an official response that no progress has been made in that time.

Added: I can confirm that Karl's manual patching with lwjgl files resolves the issue. Because he couldn't be bothered to share a link (or even mention what lwjgl is): http://sourceforge.net/projects/java...LWJGL%202.9.0/
It baffles me that users are required to manually patch this broken game, but extreme laziness seems to be a theme around here. Cheers.
This is more for my future reference, but this is what I do to get alti working properly on 64bit arch linux:

1. install java (pacman -S jre7-openjdk)
2. change the path in ~/altitude/.install4j/pref_jre.cfg to /usr
3. replace the libs + natives with LWJGL 2.9.0 thanks Karl ^^

Last edited by LewisH; 02-11-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Altitude now ships w/ LWGL 2.9.0 so your 3rd step shouldn't be required anymore. We will test out 2.9.1 soonish and decide whether or not to make that the default, 2.9.1 is suppose to fix a lot of osx 10.5.x issues.

We also changed the linux JRE that we ship with, I would be curious to know if you still need to install that custom JRE.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 PM

edit: skip to the last edit, this is mostly irrelevant

I was gonna make a new thread for this, but I think it might be related to the jre/lwjgl problems: I think catalyst 14.1 broke some things, now I cant seem to run alti at all, even through wine or by downgrading to 13.2 >.<
heres the log with catalyst 14.1 and a fresh alti install, and I'm getting the same segfault with 13.2 and even wine*...
edit: *I lied, wine gives an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Before that update it ran, but there was a lot of stuttering and I had weird lag spikes every 30secs or so. The stuttering could be a pulseaudio problem, Ive had audio stuttering problems recently so I disabled timer based scheduling which fixed the audio problems but that's messing up a few other games. My sound card's not supported properly by pulse, but ALSA support's even worse

I have a feeling I'm just bad at Linux, all the problems I have are not reproducible, even by me, and I never know what fixes them Sorry if my posts in this thread seem sorta irrelevant, I doubt this is a problem with alti specifically but if anyone knows whats going on, that'd be great ^^

I'll mess about with some stuff and see what I can do, rebooting to windows every time takes too long ^^

edit 1.
right, step 1: ruling out problems with alti/lwjgl:
A clean install on my laptop running Xubuntu with intel graphics gives a java NoClassDefFoundError.
Changing the JAVA_HOME path in the run script to /usr works fine. Runs much smoother than on my PC with a HD7790, and the lag spikes are not as bad either(still there though, my first though would be network problems, but this only happens on linux :/) .
This is with openjdk7-jre, so no problems there then

edit 2. so it could be a hardware problem, or a problem with my current arch setup. I'll try antergos on a usb stick, see if that runs...

edit 3.
With a fresh alti install on a live CD I get the NoClassDefFoundError, as I though.
Code:
sudo pacman -Sy jre7-openjdk
and changed the JAVA_HOME to /usr and it's back to it's old self, feels like 15fps and gets aweful lag spikes.
lsmod shows this is running the radeon drivers, so it's not catalysts falult.
The fact that it runs well on the laptop shows it's a linux specific hardware problem, but this is the only AMD graphics card I have access to

I'll try switching to onboard sound, but I don't have much hope for it.

edit 4.
oh. well now I feel stupid. It's not stuttering, it's tearing. it must be rendering at 600fps or something, it's tearing across the entire screen every 100 pixels down. It still shows 60fps in game, but is there any way to force vsync?
this is regardless of the vsync option. seems simmilar to https://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222

Last edited by LewisH; 02-11-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:03 AM
Administrator

The application is requesting vsync, but ultimately the drivers make the call. There may be a configuration option (force vsync on/off) in the software that comes with your graphic drivers, or perhaps vsync with OpenGL is just not supported by those drivers.

You could try this instead: F1 to open console, vsync off, testTargetFps 300 -- with a high enough framerate visual artifacts related to vertical refresh should be unnoticeable.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM

Thanks, this works great ^^ So it seems the problem was actually with vsync, as soon as I disabled it the game ran smoothly and with minimal artefacts, rendering at ~290fps. Is it possible to set the target fps in the config file?

Now I just need to figure out my periodic 999ms ping spikes and my visits to windows will become much less frequent ^^