Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Tech Support
FAQ Community Calendar

Tech Support Trouble running the game? Found a bug? Post here.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Mountain Lion bug.

Causes keyboard freeze, only way to reset it is to click a mouse button.

Happens at random times, never from spawn though.

Happened to me several times during the recent Proleague final.

Any ideas or fixes?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Having the same problem since Lion I think. Even sometimes get it from spawn.. And for me also, only clicking the mouse helps.

Problem has been brought to attention several times already.. But the more attention the better. Hope it'll get fixed some time.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM

Dude, you have started another topic with the same issue:
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8683

Also there is this one:
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7831

But yeah, this is really annoying, it happens to everyone with Lion or Mountain Lion. The devs said they can't reproduce the bug, but I haven't met anyone with 10.7 or 10.8 that doesn't have this problem.

In any case, this needs to be fixed, or you guys need to add to the steam page that these newer OS X versions are not supported, because that is the truth.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Are you telling me that a guy who worked for missile defence systems can't sort this out lol
Old 05-20-2013, 04:58 PM

It's a known problem for some users in minecraft as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM

Yep lion has the same problem
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Are you guys using mac laptops? I had this bug when I used the laptop keyboard + track pad. I eliminated this bug by using an external keyboard + mouse. What seemed to be happening to me was that my wrist would lightly tap the track pad and that would lose focus in altitude for some reason. I know it's not a code fix - but it fixed the issue for me =x
Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 PM

Can't you just make a piece of code that would lock the mouse cursor in one of the corners (lower right) and make it press the mouse button once every second or so? The problem is that the OS looses the focus on the used program (afaik) so doesn't it mean that altidevs can't fix it?
Unless karlam can make alti register key presses when it's out of focus.

I don't know anything about coding (and even less about macs) so just throwing ideas out there.

-J
Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhatever View Post
Can't you just make a piece of code that would lock the mouse cursor in one of the corners (lower right) and make it press the mouse button once every second or so? The problem is that the OS looses the focus on the used program (afaik) so doesn't it mean that altidevs can't fix it?
Unless karlam can make alti register key presses when it's out of focus.

I don't know anything about coding (and even less about macs) so just throwing ideas out there.

-J
I'm not actually a developer of the game - so I, personally, couldn't do anything about it. However, for those people who use mouse control - the locking thing wouldn't work. Also - if you haven't unbound the mouse click from attack - it would randomly make you attack by doing it like that.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Looks like LWJGL (the library we use to acquire OpenGL windows and input contexts) just released a major new version including a full rewrite of the OS X backend. For those experiencing keyboard freezes on OS X, please try running this test version of Altitude and let me know if it helps:
http://nimblygames.com/altitude/290/altitude_290.dmg
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesol View Post
I'm not actually a developer of the game - so I, personally, couldn't do anything about it. However, for those people who use mouse control - the locking thing wouldn't work. Also - if you haven't unbound the mouse click from attack - it would randomly make you attack by doing it like that.
Assuming here that players who use mouse to control their plane also click the mouse buttons pretty often.
The thing I suggested could be a hotfix for kb players. What I know about coding, shouldn't be too hard to pull that off.
Also, if a player knows about the mac glitch, I bet my balls they'd know how to disable the "mouse button = shoot".

-J
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamster View Post
Looks like LWJGL (the library we use to acquire OpenGL windows and input contexts) just released a major new version including a full rewrite of the OS X backend. For those experiencing keyboard freezes on OS X, please try running this test version of Altitude and let me know if it helps:
http://nimblygames.com/altitude/290/altitude_290.dmg
Thanks Lam, i'll test this tonight and report back.

And Mike, no im using a desktop, my computer recognises itself as a 27" iMac 2012

Last edited by classicallad; 05-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:02 PM

Installed and hit a problem right away, for some reason the keyboard presses are doubling up so when i went to log into my account i couldn't type it in because of this. I've tried this with 3 different keyboards too.

Tried again and immediately i got a pop up telling me that port 27272 wasn't available and to enter a value to choose another. Again i couldn't do this because of the doubling keys and uber sensitivity of it.

Last edited by classicallad; 05-20-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 PM

I tried it as well and I had the same issue with key presses registering twice, but in the game I didn't experience anything strange AND I played for about half an hour and I didn't have any freezes!

So if the double key presses got fixed in this version, it would be great!

Also, I ran into _micro:

iMac 24" mid-2007, OS X 10.8.3
Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 PM

This problem has plagued you Apple folks for quite some time. Doesn't seem to matter what Apple OS or version you're using...

I am not sure how much time our devoted devs have spent trying to patch this up, but obviously this issue isn't going to be easily or quickly resolved.

With that said, I think that those who are willing to spend the few bucks, would greatly benefit from getting a Mac compatible gamepad.

I am sure there will be nay-sayers to that suggestion... (but I am speaking from my own experience when I say that)

No more sore fingers or back from hovering over the keyboard. I have found the gamepad much more relaxing to play with, and it has allowed me to sit back in my chair and be much more comfortable.

That additional comfort has helped improve my game considerably.

Any of you Apple guys who have one should hook it up and post back...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Thanks, but I'd rather enjoy the features in my game that I payed for (e.g. playable with keyboard)

Besides, with this LWJGL update, I think we're closer to the solution.