Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > League Organization
FAQ Community Calendar

League Organization Only pertinent league information in here.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Default TBD Tournament after SL

Okay, so lets face it..tbd is dying and there are only 2 good teams anymore, with KLF and qq being "decent" then maybe 2 teams that are pushovers...
You can't really run a competitive APL like that, and unless the talent is diluted, there are only good games maybe once every 3 weeks.
This current APL proved that TBD is "too dead" for APL to be as fun as it once was.
This is also better than not having a APL at all, as without a TBD tournament, TBD ladder almost never runs, yet when there is a TBD tournament TBD ladder runs enough to keep it from fully dying.

Therefore I propose...

A TBD tournament with a draft.

4 Teams, 4 captains.
They will draft their teams, with maybe 8 to 10 on a team...

3 Week Bo3 regular season with a 1 week single elimination playoff.
First round of playoffs as a Bo5, finals Bo7. Seeding is determined by the 3 week regular season in which each team will play each other 2 times.

Main positive: the games will be competitive every single week as long as captains are drafting to win.
Main negative: the "clan" atmosphere will be gone.

However with TBD dying I think this will be MUCH more fun and will get everyone involved excited to play TBD every week..and being only a month long will keep people interested for the full tournament as well, thoughts?

Last edited by blln4lyf; 04-03-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 PM

If this gets a warm reception, we can do 6 or 8 teams as well...

This would ensure more "non-pro" players would get to play which could potentially help keep the TBD community alive as well.

Regardless of the # of teams, imo this is by far the best way to keep TBD alive in some shape or form.

Obviously we would have to hash out the details but lets get some discussion going on if this is a good idea or not.

Last edited by blln4lyf; 04-03-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM

i think this is a good idea. at the current state of apl i feel like the only games that arent a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME are when flb is playing sammich. every other team at this point is just a complete runthrough which means that showing up every sunday feels like a complete waste of time unless we are playing sammich. :/
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM

how would captains be decided?

I do think its a good idea though. Lets do it
Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post
how would captains be decided?

I do think its a good idea though. Lets do it
It could be by vote, or just simple placement by the people in charge based on who is interested in being a captain.

Regardless of how captains are decided, they must be "pro" players who have a large knowledge of the game mode and of the general players who play the mode so that the "most talented" players are drafted first, making each team competitive.

People who would just draft their friends first regardless of talent can't be considered, even though it is assumed that some favoritism among draftees will occur regardless of who are captains.

Anyway, if this is viewed as a good idea, we would hash out the details among captains and the tournament in general later.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Well It sounds pretty good and might be a serious solution to keep tbd alive.
As long as the teams are pretty balanced and not having like 4 out of 5 players in a team from the same clan this could be nice.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingbo View Post
i think this is a good idea. at the current state of apl i feel like the only games that arent a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME are when flb is playing sammich. every other team at this point is just a complete runthrough which means that showing up every sunday feels like a complete waste of time unless we are playing sammich. :/
To be honest though, fLb is basically taking away the talents from all over the teams. Acegunner, rib, mled, cookie. That way you are also destroying your own concurrention, possibly killing the scene AND the fun.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 PM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

man concurrention isn't even a word don't even TRY to talk to ingbo till you get yo **** straight
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 PM

I think he meant concurrent ion
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM

smush and i have already come up with a plan
right smush
Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

**** tyrone, get it together.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 PM

I'd keep playing altitude just because of this.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
man concurrention isn't even a word don't even TRY to talk to ingbo till you get yo **** straight
Well hey sorry if i hurt your feelings by not being english. I am in fact speaking the truth though.

P.S. The word i meant to type was competition.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 PM

Location: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l76jo1xRKb1qbe82eo1_500.jpg

i like this idea except for the same reason that i was afraid of york's draft thing. no, not that york was running it and lol@york'stournamentrunningcapabilities. it's that the teams don't have time to create chemistry within themselves. although, with the way that leagues are as it stands, real games are probably better than chemistry.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggomyeggo View Post
i like this idea except for the same reason that i was afraid of york's draft thing. no, not that york was running it and lol@york'stournamentrunningcapabilities. it's that the teams don't have time to create chemistry within themselves. although, with the way that leagues are as it stands, real games are probably better than chemistry.
I won't be participating in this, but this is a fantastic post. You need proactive captains for this to be successful.

If you're able to attach CP in some way to this, you may have people actually care as well, which is often an issue with random (or drafted) teams.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 PM

3 team system
team liquid, vapor and solid and they duke it out against each other every so often u know
Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 PM

ssd knows i aint even replying to no bitch ass nigguh be attacking me for bad english yo
Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
ssd knows i aint even replying to no bitch ass nigguh be attacking me for bad english yo
<_< I think people were attacking wolf for bad english instead of you.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 AM

Mike, ingbo is drunk. He told me ~3 hours ago. :3
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 AM

i be trollin yo, i kid i kid.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
i be trollin yo, i kid i kid.
i didn't know you had children
Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 AM

you need capatains who actually understand how to build a team, and strengths and weaknesses and players and complimenting them.

I'd be happy with this if all participants were required to have mumble, so some type of atmosphere and a little more push to have people who up through being more then faceless names.

Would also suggest everyone put a blurb about themselves/roles/strengths and weaknesses to help captains.

Mumble can be setup to allow the new teams their own channels (yay custom channels) too.

I like this idea.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 AM

This thread is going places
Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 AM

blurb about elixir:

i'm pretty great with the miranda like i can for example warp without hitting walls which is a skill that other mirands like sunshineduck do not have mastered and of course this makes me a prime candidate for a elite team base destruction team in addition i have been known to fly a bit of bomber here and there i really like the tailgun but i often use flak cannon now because it makes a really cool noise a bit like a car backfiring but if the car was a plane that shot huge coffee cans at its enemies furthermore i am a swell loopy once i scored six goals in a ball ladder game which obviously means i am really talented also i played in the altitude proleague finals last season leading my team to victory over the faggy little bears unfortunately we lost but hey at least we had fun did i mention i can also play explodet because once i used explodet in a semiprofessional capacity unfortunately we lost but i think that was mostly shmos fault also i assisted shmo on at least three of his five kills for his recent pentakill which was pretty super and i think now that we know each other a little better i would be a great fit for your team base destruction team
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM

I was thinking about possible solutions to the TBD problem.
The draft was one of them but i honestly wouldnt like to play with certain players and i probably wouldnt even bother to show up if i didnt like the team i was drafted for. However i wouldnt mind giving it a try to see how it goes.
My other idea was to try and have an APL with max roster size of 8, this would mean that players that cannot attend all games would probably not find a good team but at the same time we wouldnt see fLb show up with 15 players which is kind of a waste of talent.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I was thinking about possible solutions to the TBD problem.
The draft was one of them but i honestly wouldnt like to play with certain players and i probably wouldnt even bother to show up if i didnt like the team i was drafted for. However i wouldnt mind giving it a try to see how it goes.
My other idea was to try and have an APL with max roster size of 8, this would mean that players that cannot attend all games would probably not find a good team but at the same time we wouldnt see fLb show up with 15 players which is kind of a waste of talent.
APL: Thank u andy, (first time reading this thread) wolf's comment was appropriate to everybody who thought it wasn't, and flb knows it, and everyone except for kuja will likely accept it. This is a great idea regarding team size for future apl's.

This league: This is a great idea, but what andy says is true, people hate other people, I know a lot of people hate me, even though they base it off of a reputation. I think in order to have a tourny like this people have to suck it up and see how it goes, and I have an idea for the captains. First everyone who is interested needs to sign up (with no blurb) and just say "I want to play in this tournament". After this everyone who was selected will pick 1 person to be captain, the person they pick should be like someone said previously based on who can win and push and defend the best, not just your favorite person.

TBD isn't dying, it's just being isolated, more teams are showing up every year (amazingly) so I think this will continue to further people playing TBD.
(no spelling mistakes!) (don't you dare include tourny kuja or apl)
Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 PM

why does flb always have to be the bad guys? i really dont get it.... only reason we recruited ppl was cause sammich took 2 of our most important ppl and we wouldnt be able to compete unless we recruited ppl.... like jesus ppl fkn wake up.... world isnt all black or white.... there are shades.... like REAL?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:16 PM

fLb aren't the bad guys, what you're doing is smart. But at the same time it is in fact killing your own competition, which is my single and only point.

If this tournament happens though, i'm very interested in how it'll play out.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Because, Ingbo, I think people are trying to say that your recruitment took the best players from some teams, i.e mled from KLF. (<--arguably the best player of alti)

My comment is neutral to this discussion, please don't hate me.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
fLb aren't the bad guys, what you're doing is smart. But at the same time it is in fact killing your own competition, which is my single and only point.

If this tournament happens though, i'm very interested in how it'll play out.
were not killing sh1t thats the point. were recruiting ppl to be able to stand a chance against sammich, like how is that not clear?

i really dont even understand why there needs to be fingers pointed towards any 1 team for 'destroying tbd'. obv we wanna win just like sammich wanna win. ive even aknowledge
that this is a problem earlier in this very same thread and that id be more than happy to not have clan formats like this cause it ruins tbd. but to single handedly blame flb to me is just so childish.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:57 PM

to be honest, you are -.-

cookie from IL
rib from qq
acegunner, mled from KLF
those were the best players on competing teams, and i understand that you want to be able to take on sammich, but at the same time you are actually taking away the other competition.

as i said before, i'm not saying it's a bad thing. but if you are complaining about the fact that there's too little competition, the blame is on yourself.

-Wolf out.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM

are u for real wolf? lol.....

sammich took vipr and aya from flb (that i can think of sorry if im forgetting anyone). they took hollywood from qq and now dragon from FRO. like why are we getting all the hate? those 4 not top players to u?

- ingbo out.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:29 PM

ingbo i , we , agree with u, its not just fLb, sammies as well, this was brought up though cause flb was talking about low to no competition, and people don't look at sammies recruitment the same was as fLb, and I think this is because fLb has kuja.. sorry to call him out, everybody thinks hes a dick
Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 PM

Draft has always been a great idea but people just dont show or it never takes place.

It would be better to start of with 4 teams like this so that we can at least get one draft competition done!

If it does prove to be popular we can do individual recognition each time we do a league e.g. most games won with a specific player. most titles to their name. best bomb runner etc and tally them up.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:35 PM

We could do this, but I think it might take a fair bit of work. Also, if you're talking about 4 teams, then you aren't going to interest new people and most won't get to play. It's just going to be the top 40 of ladder.

What might be interesting is having scheduled captains games every week, if we get enough people on we could have 3 servers running at once.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:39 PM

certainly not everybody thinks kuja is a dick. theres this massive bandwagon of ppl that dont even know kuja who just goes around saying hes a dick without ever basically having interacted with him. i know him very well and hes certainly not a dick or what hes made out to be in this community.

problem still stands tho that most of the talent are on 2 teams and this isnt good for the lvl of competative play in altitude. if yall really wanna be naive enough to think that flb is the only evil here then fine (this isnt adressing u sky btw). im sure kuja would be more than happy to be up for more competative games too, no need to start giving ppl opinions for which u have no idea if they actually pocess or not.

and regarding what rib just said, ye i think 4 teams are nowhere near enough honestly. imo there should be 8 teams here. anything above 8 feels very unrealistic to me. also theres a question of what ppl want to captain these teams. i for one would not like to shoulder that responsibility!

Last edited by Ingbo; 04-04-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
certainly not everybody thinks kuja is a dick. theres this massive bandwagon of ppl that dont even know kuja who just goes around saying hes a dick without ever basically having interacted with him. i know him very well and hes certainly not a dick or what hes made out to be in this community.

problem still stands tho that most of the talent are on 2 teams and this isnt good for the lvl of competative play in altitude. if yall really wanna be naive enough to think that flb is the only evil here then fine (this isnt adressing u sky btw). im sure kuja would be more than happy to be up for more competative games too, no need to start giving ppl opinions for which u have no idea if they actually pocess or not.
It was sammies and flb who destroyed the other contending teams chances this season, equally. And technically sammies coming back and talking Aya and Vipr back is what started it.

KLF- mled, ace
qq- rib, holly, squirtle, #3
Fro- dragon
IL- Cookie

I think almost any clan leader wanting to win would of done the same thing though, minus maybe recruiting others top players to sit on their bench and watch.

Last edited by blln4lyf; 04-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:16 PM

ye and im fine with that like i said. i do take blame in it, but ill be damned if im gona sit and hear my clan (to which im obv loyal) take full blame for this.

anyways whoevers fault it is this is a good idea and we should probably start focusing the thread about the actual idea rather than whos fault it is that tbd is dying.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM

To play devils advocate a little, couldn't you also put blame on KLF/IL/QQ for not being actively managed enough to keep their players?

In reality it is a captain's job to make his team as strong as they can. Doing anything less is just not being competitive. Me and Mike did just that and in my opinion there really isn't a reason to blame anyone. I mean you can be mad me and mike are good GMs but it is what it is.

Last edited by Kuja900; 04-04-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blln4lyf View Post
It was sammies and flb who destroyed the other contending teams chances this season, equally. And technically sammies coming back and talking Aya and Vipr back is what started it.

KLF- mled, ace
qq- rib, holly, squirtle, #3
Fro- dragon
IL- Cookie

I think almost any clan leader wanting to win would of done the same thing though, minus maybe recruiting others top players to sit on their bench and watch.

I don't think players switch to win, TBH I don't think many players care about winning an unofficial tourny in a tiny game. I switched because I thought playing with a different bunch of people might be more fun and relaxed and it has been. I'd go and play for $$ if I thought it'd be more fun for me.