Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Suggestions
FAQ Community Calendar

Suggestions Post ideas and suggestions here.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM

Location: Sunaku pulls away, hesitant and unsure of these feelings he's feeling...
Default Laser - The Fix™

A lot of people complain about Miranda.

Time Anchor was brought into a back alley and neutered against its will, and that worked pretty well. Time Anchor is now super hard to bomb run with, but still viable. When holding the bomb, the anchor line is shortened by X%. Well played - Time Anchor's skill ceiling and floor are both now quite high for bomb running - where it was most imbalanced.

Laser has an equally elegant fix.

THE PROBLEM™:

Before I begin, let me point out why laser is too good. The range. The intention of the original laser nerf (blame Maimer), if I can guess, was to reduce the range. Cutting the physical laser's length was a good move.

However, there still exists the problem that laser's effective range is actually double the laser line. A Miranda with laser and turbocharger can (1) charge their laser, (2) warp, (3) use the laser, (4) warp away - all in one swift motion that unleashes the games highest DPS weapon on an enemy a screen away.

When combined with mouse control or a remarkably steady and reactive set of fingers on the keyboard, the accuracy of a laser is around 100%.

The problem, in part, also lies in the fact that warp is near instantaneous, and the laser is not a projectile, it is simply a damage box that reaches the end of its effective range instantly. This needs to be rectified by reducing the mobility of the laser.

The problem lies mostly with turbocharger and its interaction with the laser regeneration rates - a laser can in essence have a full charge every whatever seconds while still nearly always having enough energy to warp away.

THE FIX™:

Adjust laser energy regeneration to do one of four things:

(1) Code-in an energy break point that means a turbocharger laser cannot have enough energy for both a full charge and a warp. This will reduce the laser's ability to get in position where it cannot be retaliated against, while still dealing out its full burst.

or

(2) Treat laser like the old Reverse Thrust - when reversing, a plane drains its energy, eventually to zero. Treat laser the same way. A full charge drains the planes energy.

or

(3) Treat laser like the semi-old Reverse Thrust - a charged laser does not regenerate any energy - it simply retains whatever it had after the laser was charged.

or

(4) Negate turbocharger regeneration bonus when a laser is charged.

--

I believe any of these changes - when properly math'd - will provide a good fix to reduce the overwhelming utility of laser in TBD (I think all can agree that while laser has a place in ball, it is not nearly as powerful).

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by elixirwithani; 01-07-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM

1 allows dilly dally while nerfing movement capability.
2 forces the player to consider their timing carefully, still allowing current movement capability
3 allows dilly dally to a somewhat less degree, still allowing current movement capability once per laser shot.
4 - What percent of laser players use Turbocharger? (Yes, I'm that noob of what the randas are doing.)

For a fast pace game, I like the what 2 does. Raises the skill floor without raising the ceiling.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM

Currently laser is the only red perk that isn't bounced back when used on a shield. I do remember karlam giving some explanation why not but at current state, laser players have such a huge advantage when engaging in 1 on 1 "face 2 face".

Make laser randa take damage if it hits shields. The beam doesn't need to bounce back, just start chipping away the hp bar.

-J
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Location: Sunaku pulls away, hesitant and unsure of these feelings he's feeling...

Laser doesn't bounce back because laser can't be turned off - it's 100% or 0%.

If another plane sees the shield they just stop shooting, laser doesn't have that option.

I'd consider this a distant last place for reasons laser is too powerful, though.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elixirwithani View Post
If another plane sees the shield they just stop shooting, laser doesn't have that option.
And the laser randa can't quickly turn away from a shield.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 PM

Just bring back the old laser from before it got buffed imo, then go from there. At that point it felt balanced, and I still think it was. I don't think trying to balance laser from it's current state is a good idea. Re-doing the original buff might be, because we now know what is and isn't viable.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 AM

why would they worry about fixing laser, when they've ignored one of the oldest and biggest problem in all of altitude.
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showt...ht=nerf+clapon
Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 PM

I still feel the problem lies in the damage that warp brings. Reduce warp damage by 40%. Randa is fixed.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
I still feel the problem lies in the damage that warp brings. Reduce warp damage by 40%. Randa is fixed.
This is a huge damage nerf focussed on the Miranda, not just the laser perk.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
40% may be right but not for ta, ta is fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
good? chars
Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 PM

The problem is ingbo not lazer. All your arguments are invalid.

Now that he is retired there is no need for any changes, balance is restored to the universe.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elixirwithani View Post
THE PROBLEM™:

Before I begin, let me point out why laser is too good. The range. The intention of the original laser nerf (blame Maimer), if I can guess, was to reduce the range. Cutting the physical laser's length was a good move.

However, there still exists the problem that laser's effective range is actually double the laser line. A Miranda with laser and turbocharger can (1) charge their laser, (2) warp, (3) use the laser, (4) warp away - all in one swift motion that unleashes the games highest DPS weapon on an enemy a screen away.

When combined with mouse control or a remarkably steady and reactive set of fingers on the keyboard, the accuracy of a laser is around 100%.

The problem, in part, also lies in the fact that warp is near instantaneous, and the laser is not a projectile, it is simply a damage box that reaches the end of its effective range instantly. This needs to be rectified by reducing the mobility of the laser.

The problem lies mostly with turbocharger and its interaction with the laser regeneration rates - a laser can in essence have a full charge every whatever seconds while still nearly always having enough energy to warp away.
You haven't defined the problem; I still don't know why you think laser is too good at an extremely high level of play, where people don't make the mistakes laser is so good at exploiting at, concerning 5v5 TBD and not taking into account lag.

I do think laser is too unforgiving and easy to be effective with, but IMO that is not really a problem.

If laser must be nerfed, (4) of these options seems to be the only viable one; feel free to ask why.

Anyway, randa should be nerfed, not laser. Not sure how exactly, I've yet to give this much thought.

Last edited by Knipchip; 01-27-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knipchip View Post
You haven't defined the problem; I still don't know why you think laser is too good at an extremely high level of play, where people don't make the mistakes laser is so good at exploiting at, concerning 5v5 TBD and not taking into account lag.

I do think laser is too unforgiving and easy to be effective with, but IMO that is not really a problem.

If laser must be nerfed, (4) of these options seems to be the only viable one; feel free to ask why.

Anyway, randa should be nerfed, not laser. Not sure how exactly, I've yet to give this much thought.
luckily people are finally starting to realize what ive been saying for 2 years now.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingbo View Post
luckily people are finally starting to realize what ive been saying for 2 years now.
it really did take disgustingly long lol