Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Support > Dedicated Server
FAQ Community Calendar

Dedicated Server Discuss technical issues related to hosting your own servers.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 PM

Default Not able to host server on network x but it works on y

Hey guys, I'm fooling around with this issue for a few days now and feel completely stupid to ask, but here we go anyway. (TL-DR below)

Last week I at my parents house I thought it would be fun to create a tool in C# to gather some statistics from the log files from the altitude server. I hosted a server and started creating the program. (The server was reachable from the outside after forwarding ports)

Let's forward a few days. Vacation is over, waving goodbye to my parents again, and I'm back in my own appartement. I started my laptop, forwarded the ports and then this message popped up saying "The server is behind a firewall". Having run 10's of servers for all kinds of games / things this kinda left me confused.

After rechecking the settings about 20 times and still not having found a solution I also tried some other game servers that required open UDP ports. These worked flawlessly.

On a seperate note, I've also been trying to host an Altitude Server on my Windows Azure cloud VM. I've also forwarded the ports for the for the server here (both the endpoint and in the firewall) but I saw the same message here, your server is behind a firewall.

So, would anyone be able to spare some time for a man desperately needing some help

TL-DR:
I have hosted ****loads of game servers (I even hosted the first AltiCoop server, the one with stats / fastest times) but can't get the Altitude Server to work on the network in my apparement.

Last edited by devedse; 09-10-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:41 AM

Assuming you had it working on your laptop at your parents house, this won't help but..

Make sure it isn't the Windows Firewall blocking it. Easiest to add server_launcher.exe to the allowed list.

Could try using different ports just in case for some reason your ISP happened to be blocking the ports Altitude uses, although I think that would be unlikely.

I have had no trouble hosting Altitude anywhere except with Windows Azure so not surprised you had trouble with that. Think support is limited for using UDP traffic. Could try Amazon EC2, that works fine for Altitude. Can also get a linux VPS for quite cheap. One of my cheaper VPS's is $25/year.

Last edited by VAN1SH1NG; 09-11-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Hey VAN1SH1NG,

As you already concluded (by assuming it did work in my parents house) disabling the Windows Firewall did not resolve the issue.

What I could do is try some different ports for altitude, I'll try that out in the next few days.

The reason I want to use a Windows Azure VM is because I have a VS Ultimate subscription running (which gives me 'free' access to Azure). So getting it to work there would be my ultimate goal.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM

UPDATE:

I tried hosting a server I created on UDP port 27275, I couldn't connect to it from a remote location. I then changed it to use port 5150. After I did that I could connect to the server.

What I then did was update Altitude's server configuration to also use that port (5151 and 5150, they both worked for the UDP server test program). But to no avail. The server keeps showing messages that it's behind a firewall.