Altitude Game: Forums  

Go Back   Altitude Game: Forums > Altitude Discussion > Ladder Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar

Ladder Discussion Everything related to altitudeladder.com and the ladder servers goes here.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:00 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.
Default Presenting: The Ladder Map Project

Project News

11/12/2010
  • o hai thar! drunkguava and I have been given the green light to take over this project. I have updated the outdated original posts, please let me know if you disagree with any of the changes or if I missed any map making threads.
  • Mikesol has given us the thumbs-up for a weekly captains game on his Prose Only server where we test strictly maps that are being looked to be brought onto the ladder scene, both ball and tbd. These matches will be every Friday at 9:00 PM EST, anyone that is willing to play their hardest in order to accurately test out maps is welcome.
  • This upcoming Friday (November 19th), we will be testing only ball maps in our captains games. Hopefully we will be able to add a map or two to the pool fairly quicky.

11/15/2010
  • nobodyhome has added in a function where we can test maps in the ladder server. Huzzah!

12/20/2010 - 12/24/2010
  • Removed tbd_locomotion2 from the TBD ladder rotation, added the option to custom start_chess. The map will not appear in the custom start_random rotation but will be available to be played for points.
  • Added ball_atmosphere, ball_sideshow, and ball_ufo to the ball ladder rotation that can be custom started, the maps are not in the random rotation yet.
  • Added tbd_tron (both versions), tbd_tech, ball_ocean, ball_pixelized, ball_pulse, and ball_subterranean to the custom test function.

01/03/2011
  • Removed tbd_lostcity from the TBD ladder rotation, added the options to custom start_assembly, custom start_origamipark, and custom test_hivepark.
  • Updated tbd_tron.

03/17/2011
  • Removed tbd_middleground from random rotation, added tbd_lostcity and tbd_volcano to random rotation. Added tbd_typepark to the custom test function.
  • Added ball_ice, ball_hardcourt, and ball_ufo to the random rotation. Added ball_cloudcity to the custom test function.

Last edited by sunshineduck; 03-21-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 AM

Location: They were naked, I saw many pussy, I walked away. Call me gay but just saying.

This is a post designed to organize all the updating that is being done on the ladder map pool. Here will be tracked the current map pool, its problems, its possible fixes, and potential additions.

More importantly, this post will identify certain tasks to be done to several imperfect maps in ladder. Preferably, the original map maker will fix these issues himself, but if not, I call for members of the community to take up finishing these tasks, pending the original map maker's approval. Most of these tasks can be done without any graphic skills whatsoever.

In addition, this post will track the progress of several new maps being created, identified as having potential for inclusion in the map pool when they are finished.

Also stated here for the record, the goals of the ladder map pool are as follows, in order of importance:

1. To maintain maps that are best suited for competitive play.
2. To keep a decently sized (~16), fresh, and diverse set of maps for interesting play.
3. To foster the growth of new map creation in the community.

Last edited by sunshineduck; 03-21-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 AM

Team Base Destruction

Permanent stays
This is the set of maps that should serve as a model for all ladder maps. They have withstood the test of time for competitiveness and enjoyability.
  • Asteroids
  • Cave
  • Core
  • Grotto

Excellent
This is the set of maps that everyone considers to be pretty good. People enjoy playing on them, and they provide good competitive play.
  • Bowserscastle
  • Focus
  • Middleground
  • Heights

Decent but flawed
While they might have some issues that prevent them from being everybody's favorite maps, the issues are manageable enough not to make them unplayable. These maps are unlikely to be touched, barring major issues arising for some reason.
  • Fallout
  • Justice
  • Mayhem
  • Scrapyard
  • Underpark
  • Woods

Has problems, needs fix
These maps require attention. If anyone in the community wishes to take on the tasks these maps need, please do.

None as of right now.

In contention
These maps are disputed by the community. For each of these maps there will be a discussion thread created--please discuss potential problems and potential fixes for these maps there. If in the end it is decided that there is no problem with the map, it will be moved to one of the first three lists. If a fixable problem is agreed on, it will be moved to the "Has problems, needs fix" list. If it is decided that there is no hope for the map, it will be dropped out of ladder altogether.

None

In progress
New maps currently being made and identified as having potential. Their progress will be tracked here, from concept->initial draft->testing->polishing->completed. When they are finished, they will be included in the ladder if they meet the standards.

Blackhole
Current phase: Testing and revising
Currently being worked on by: Genesis
Needs: More testing before this map can be deemed ladder worthy.

Chess
Current phase: Testing, currently available via /vote custom start_chess
Currently being worked on by: silent skies

Horror
Current phase: Cancelled?
Currently being worked on by: Nobody apparently, originally silent skies

Labyrinth
Current phase: Revising
Currently being worked on by: Sean

Nature
Current phase: In development
Currently being worked on by: Needs someone to take this project over.

Origami
Currently being worked on by: Mandrad

Poseidon
Currently being worked on by: Wing Eraser

Shard
Currently being worked on by: Jayfourke
Needs: Graphic design and testing are needed

SkullIsland
Currently being worked on by: Blind Pilot
Needs: Someone with a good server to run this map and do some extensive testing and give advice to Blind Pilot.

Snowlands
Currently being worked on by: evilarsenal
Needs: Fixing of how the objects and their graphics align, either evilarsenal or someone else needs to take this over and fix it before it can be tested.

Techpark

Tron
Current phase: Testing
Currently being worked on by: Pieface

Total current number of maps: 16. Is a good size. One or two bad maps can be dropped from the pool, but preferably with a replacement only.

Last edited by sunshineduck; 03-21-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:02 AM

Ball

Permanent stays
This is the set of maps that should serve as a model for all ladder maps. They have withstood the test of time for competitiveness and enjoyability.
  • Cave
  • Darkwar
  • Grotto
  • Mayhem2
  • Planepark
  • Snow

Excellent
This is the set of maps that everyone considers to be pretty good. People enjoy playing on them, and they provide good competitive play.
  • Labyrinth
  • Maze

Decent but flawed
While they might have some issues that prevent them from being everybody's favorite maps, the issues are manageable enough not to make them unplayable. These maps are unlikely to be touched, barring major issues arising for some reason.
  • Asteroids
  • Core
  • Cross
  • Funnelpark
  • Lostcity

Has problems, needs fix
These maps require attention. If anyone in the community wishes to take on the tasks these maps need, please do.

None

In contention
These maps are disputed by the community. For each of these maps there will be a discussion thread created--please discuss potential problems and potential fixes for these maps there. If in the end it is decided that there is no problem with the map, it will be moved to one of the first three lists. If a fixable problem is agreed on, it will be moved to the "Has problems, needs fix" list. If it is decided that there is no hope for the map, it will be dropped out of ladder altogether.

None

In progress
New maps currently being made and identified as having potential. Their progress will be tracked here, from concept->initial draft->testing->polishing->completed. When they are finished, they will be included in the ladder if they meet the standards.

Atmosphere
Current phase: Testing, currently available to play on ladder for points via /vote custom start_atmosphere
Currently being worked on by: Nikon

Bangbangpark
Current phase: Revision

Doodle
Currently being worked on by: NastyManatee

Grid

Gymnasium
Currently being worked on by: mlopes

Hardcourt
Currently being worked on by: Nikon?? Not sure.

Ice
Currently being worked on by: Nikon and Dyno

Lazer
Current phase: Preliminary drafts
Currently being worked on by: ????. Seems to have been abandoned, looking for someone to test this map extensively and make any changes as necessary (after asking the original map maker for permission).

Metal
Currently being worked on by: phil443

Ocean

Paradigm

Pixelized

Pulse
Currently being worked on by: tgleaf and Nikon

Risk
Currently being worked on by: krawz

Sideshow
Current phase:Testing, currently available to play on ladder for points via /vote custom start_sideshow
Currently being worked on by: krawz

Stadium

Subterranean
Currently being worked on by: tgleaf

Tetris
Current phase: Revision
Currently being worked on by: silent skies

Thorns
Currently being worked on by: Blind Pilot

UFO
Current phase: Testing, currently available to play on ladder for points via /vote custom start_ufo
Currently being worked on by: TRUEPAiN

Total current number of maps: 13. Desperately needing some more maps.

Last edited by sunshineduck; 03-21-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately I'm to blame for the other thread disappearing. I was in the process of transferring it to SSD, and something weird happened that ended up deleting it from the forum database :X

SSD, if you or nobo want the contents of the old thread back I've discovered a safe, albeit slow, way of recreating the old thread. Let me know if you'd like me to do it!

Sorry again for the inconvenience.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 AM

This thread is now fully up to date. Huzzah!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

ill be able to get ball_stadium going,

as for tbd_snowlands, i think im going to make two different versions, tbd_avalanche, and tbd_snowlands.... so put two up

i'm going to work on stadium first, when i have the time... see if i can get it in for this friday, but i figured out a way to make it bug free, i just have to restart the whole map so yar :\

tbd_fire and tbd_eruption is also in concept work :O
Old 11-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to evilarsenal

i'll take tbd_nature over by the way, i want dibs
Old 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM

Btw, I'm working on a version of gymnasium with new graphics and some improvements. I uploaded it to =AIR= EU Server, and found that the corner bottom obstacles were tricking people into a dead end. So I didn't update the official post, but you can try it there while I don't change that bottom obstacles.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:36 AM

I probably won't be making ladder testing tonight .
bar night is starting earlier than I expected.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:26 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Duck Duck Pwn

Mayhem is enjoyable? Since when? (Or even middleground lol)

Definitely think it is lost city status, but what do I know

Last edited by Duck Duck Pwn; 11-19-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM

Mayhem is a lot better than LC or Mid or Loco 1. I'd like to see LC removed and Mid modified to non neutral and possibly a couple of turrets for the low passage. IMO all maps should be based off of Asteroids and Cave
Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 PM

If we base all maps off Asteroids and Cave, we won't have any neutral bomb maps (maybe that's what you're getting at >_>)

As far as Lostcity and Middlegrounds go, I personally feel like although their enjoyability comes into question, they are very much suited for competitive play. ball_football and tbd_hills are the opposite. Although this is obviously a game and entertainment should come first, ladder is designed for competition and I think its map pool should reflect that. Once we start getting new maps that are both more enjoyable to play at and just as or even more competitively balanced, we can definitely start phasing out less fun maps.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
Permanent stays
  • Asteroids
  • Cave
  • Core
  • Grotto

Excellent
  • Bowserscastle
  • Focus
  • Heights
  • Mayhem
  • Middleground
  • Scrapyard
  • Underpark
can you like, remove the bolded one from that part, since i'm pretty sure more than half of the competitive scene doesn't agree with that.

ok it looks nice but really? if it was such an excellent map it would have been in APL
Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf'j'max View Post
can you like, remove the bolded one from that part, since i'm pretty sure more than half of the competitive scene doesn't agree with that.

ok it looks nice but really? if it was such an excellent map it would have been in APL
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3952

there's like ten people near the bottom of the thread that say they like the map.

also mike you forgot to put bowserscastle in apl.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineduck View Post
Hardcourt
Currently being worked on by: Nikon?? Not sure.
It was made by Elxir and I
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post
http://altitudegame.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3952

there's like ten people near the bottom of the thread that say they like the map.

also mike you forgot to put bowserscastle in apl.
meh i seriously don't think it is excellent or close to it, it is fun yeah but not like..
oh well we'll see >.<
Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 PM

I posted a new version of Gymnasium, can you please update it?
Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 PM

I have several problems with locomotion 2. I'm having trouble articulating all my complaints but I'll try my best.

1) I don't think map was adequately tested or altered. It was just kind of thrown onto ladder with pretty minimal feedback. I know we were desperate for new maps, but I really don't think loco 2 was ready for ladder play. The fact that it's disallowed in APL is a testament to this.

2) Too many powerups (6). I think that most maps have 4 powerups, some have 5. Six powerups just feels like too many. Powerups should be scarce and a intermediary objective, not just flung all over the map.

3) The bottom of the map is virtually useless, mainly because the map is so tall and the bomb is non-neutral. Teams move too fast and are clumped too close together for any real flanking to happen. I've stopped playing the bottom on loco 2 just because by the time I loop around for the flank, the enemy is already too far past me. Also you really do have to go down and then climb way too much distance to make flanking / bottom play really effective.

4) I really hate how the top of the map plays. You know how the choke points suck in middleground? Loco 2 feels like that, except there's twice as many. It's really just spam spam spam move over, spam spam spam, move over. And you pray that more of your spam hit than their spam and you're moving fast enough to get past respawns. It's a really frustratingly boring playstyle that goes against the spirit of this game.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 PM

Yeah so, I'm not sure what the deal with Peanut Gallery is supposed to be, they've been inactive for a bit of a stretch.

Anyway, I've had an updated version of Chess (moved spawns closer to base; moved bomb further from base; updated some geography) just kinda sitting around for about 2 weeks now. The download link expired and the FTP site I've been using is currently spazzing out, but I know Prose Only has the latest version of that; so either one can download it from there, or I can try to e-mail the file directly to nobo (for ladder) or anyone else who wants to host it on a server for testing. Whoever wants me to e-mail the file to them, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Also, at G00SE's request I've taken up ball_tetris again. He's helping me hammer out some gameplay fixes but it should be ready for ladder tests fairly soon, and I've completely revamped the graphical style, looking a lot better (at least to me).
Old 12-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent skies View Post
Yeah so, I'm not sure what the deal with Peanut Gallery is supposed to be, they've been inactive for a bit of a stretch.

Anyway, I've had an updated version of Chess (moved spawns closer to base; moved bomb further from base; updated some geography) just kinda sitting around for about 2 weeks now. The download link expired and the FTP site I've been using is currently spazzing out, but I know Prose Only has the latest version of that; so either one can download it from there, or I can try to e-mail the file directly to nobo (for ladder) or anyone else who wants to host it on a server for testing. Whoever wants me to e-mail the file to them, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Also, at G00SE's request I've taken up ball_tetris again. He's helping me hammer out some gameplay fixes but it should be ready for ladder tests fairly soon, and I've completely revamped the graphical style, looking a lot better (at least to me).
My semester is wrapping up so I haven't had time to do a lot of stuff - sorry. After I'm done with finals I'll test more maps
Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesol View Post
My semester is wrapping up so I haven't had time to do a lot of stuff - sorry. After I'm done with finals I'll test more maps
Oh, okay! Good to hear. Good luck with finals!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smushface View Post
I have several problems with locomotion 2. I'm having trouble articulating all my complaints but I'll try my best.

1) I don't think map was adequately tested or altered. It was just kind of thrown onto ladder with pretty minimal feedback. I know we were desperate for new maps, but I really don't think loco 2 was ready for ladder play. The fact that it's disallowed in APL is a testament to this.

2) Too many powerups (6). I think that most maps have 4 powerups, some have 5. Six powerups just feels like too many. Powerups should be scarce and a intermediary objective, not just flung all over the map.

3) The bottom of the map is virtually useless, mainly because the map is so tall and the bomb is non-neutral. Teams move too fast and are clumped too close together for any real flanking to happen. I've stopped playing the bottom on loco 2 just because by the time I loop around for the flank, the enemy is already too far past me. Also you really do have to go down and then climb way too much distance to make flanking / bottom play really effective.

4) I really hate how the top of the map plays. You know how the choke points suck in middleground? Loco 2 feels like that, except there's twice as many. It's really just spam spam spam move over, spam spam spam, move over. And you pray that more of your spam hit than their spam and you're moving fast enough to get past respawns. It's a really frustratingly boring playstyle that goes against the spirit of this game.
Bump.

I know joke around a lot and give you a ton of **** for this map SSD, but I really do think map is too bad to be in the pool.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:32 AM

Yeah I absolutely agree, APL has just been hammering everyone's weekends and those are the only times I can play. I'm not quite sure what we can replace loco2 with, but I'm definitely planning on doing it sometime in the near future.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Just checking... Have you missed this one (ball_bangbangpark) or it just isnt worthy?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrad View Post
Just checking... Have you missed this one (ball_bangbangpark) or it just isnt worthy?
Updated, must have missed it
Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 PM

Speaking of updating maps, can you please update the version of ball_gymnasium that is on test in ladder, the version there it's a very old version.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:05 PM

noobo pretty much depends on me sending him maps to put on the test function, not that anyone uses it anyway
Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 PM

Ehem, on ball_grid Could you please ad tgleaf to the *made by* because he did just as much as I did for the map.

And same for ball_hardcourt, put elxir and nikon

Last edited by Nikon; 12-08-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 AM

elixir, you goober. elixir.

yes, i successfully misspelled my name when signing up. wanna fight about it.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:52 AM

I signed up for Transformice using "Elxir". Good thing no one else had taken that name^^
Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Default tbd_planepark

Please test this file...its an atempt to allow faster games in tbd_planepark.

Download

TY
Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 AM

I forgot to add the donwload link for the latest version of gymnasium.

Here it is
Old 12-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Ok, so on my opinion, the games in TBD_Core have recently become very monotonous. Yesterday we played a game for 45 minutes. Then the next map was core and that lasted at least 20 minutes I think. It's becoming locomotion..
Old 12-13-2010, 03:48 PM

All neutral maps have the potential to go long. Core also happens to be one of the shortest neutrals most of the time.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 PM

This is true..
Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 PM

Please check

TYVM
Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 AM

News updated.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Y] View Post
I signed up for Transformice using "Elxir". Good thing no one else had taken that name^^
rofl win!

my name on transformice is darthasheme
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 PM

Could you please add ball_ocean to the /vote custom test map list?

I recently just started playing it again and it actually played surprisingly well. I think it should start to be tested again and I think it could be a ladder official map.